The Miner's Backpack is crafted on a regular crafting bench. It has 15 inventory slots to hold ores (iron, gold, redstone, etc.) and fuels (coal, uranium, etc.). When you pick up any of these, they will go straight to the backpack instead of to your inventory. Note that it does not hold blocks such as dirt and cobblestone; they can be picked up with a Digger's Backpack.
It is very useful for miners due to the resources that build up throughout mining.
The Miner's backpack has 4 different modes:
- Default - Takes in the ores listed below. (no added icon)
- Locked - Doesn't take in anything, but can still be opened. (lock icon)
- Receiving - Shift-Right clicking on a chest will take all matching items. (green up arrow icon)
- Resupply - Keeps a stack of the item in the hotbar. (yellow down arrow icon)
You can cycle through the modes by crouching, and then right clicking with the pack selected in your hotbar. In any mode but Receiving, Shift-right clicking on a chest will dump all items out of the pack, space permitting.
There is a bug where having two miners backpacks can cause the items in one to change in the items of the other backpack (occasionally completely wiping the contents of a backpack). Therefore, it is advised to use a single backpack, get a different storage device (e.g canvas bag), or upgrade to the woven miner's backpack.
The Miner's Backpack holds the following ore:
- Apatite (gem and ore)
- Brass Ingot
- Bronze Ingot
- Coal (coal and ore)
- Copper (both kinds, and ingots 13380, 5267:5, and 20257:64, but not 30248)
- Diamond (gem and ore, but not Industrial Diamond)
- Electrum Ingot and Electrum Blend
- Emerald (gem only, not ore)
- Ferrous (and ingot)
- Gold (and ingot)
- Invar Ingot
- Lapis Lazuli (gem and ore)
- Lead (and ingot 20257:67, but not 9270)
- All Pulverized ore
- Redstone (dust and ore)
- Ruby (gem and ore)
- Saltpeter (powder and ore)
- Shiny Ingot
- Silver (2001:2 only, not 248. Also takes silver ingot 5267:3 and 20257:66, but not 9271)
- Steel Ingot
- Sulfur (powder and ore)
- Tin (both kinds, and ingots)
- Glowstone Dust